This healthy rice dish is the perfect store-cupboard dinner – you can swap the lentils for chickpeas, add different vegetables or use any curry paste you have on hand.
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 (about 450g) cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 1/4 cups (250g) basmati rice
- 2 tablespoons mild Indian curry paste (such as korma)
- 3 cups (750ml) vegetable stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cinnamon quill
- 400g can lentils, drained, rinsed
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped coriander leaves
- Mango chutney, to serve (optional)
- Heat oil in a large frypan over medium heat. Add onion and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the cauliflower and rice and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
- Add curry paste and cook for a further minute. Add stock, bay leaves and cinnamon, then bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 15 minutes until rice is cooked and all liquid has been absorbed. Fluff rice with a fork, stir in lentils and heat through for 1 minute. Sprinkle over coriander, and serve with chutney, if desired.